VP-6, The 'Can Do' Crew
By Lt. (j.g.) J. G. Clifford
Yes, the "Blue Sharks" certainly are at it again! As can be seen from the surrounding photographs, VP-6 under the command of Cdr. P. F. Bankhardt, USN, are busy with and extensive training program in preparation for another deployment in the near future. In addition to their regular training duties, time is also found to make improvements to the hangar and barracks area thus keeping up the "Blue Sharks" reputation as a "can do" squadron.
Patrol Squadron Six was commissioned on July 15, 1943, at NAS Whidbey Island, Washington, with fifteen PV-1 aircraft and was at that time designated Patrol Bombing Squadron 146. VPB-146 departed the continental U.S. on December 22, 1943, for the South West Pacific area where it served all the way from Kaneohe to Borneo and the Philippines. The Squadron returned to San Diego on March 8, 1945 and was reformed on April 15, 1945 at NAS Moffett Field, California, and given fifteen PV-2 aircraft. On July 29, 1945, the squadron was transferred to NAS Alameda where it participated in training and experiments with the PV-2 aircraft. On September 21, 1946, the squadron, now Patrol Squadron 146, had its home port changed to NAS Barber's Point. From NAS Barber's Point it was transferred to NAS Kaneohe on March 19, 1947 where it remained until December 12, 1947, when its home port was changed to NAS Whidbey Island with a stop of four months at NAS Miramar, California, for acceptance and training in P2V-2 type aircraft.